Why do you sometimes see green tint on potato chips?
The green is chlorophyl that was produced when a portion of the potato grew aboveground and was exposed to sunlight. This exposure also caused the production of another substance called solanine, which can be toxic. I’ll bet that will make you think twice about eating Ruffles, huh?
According to an old English system of time units, a moment is one and a half minutes.
In 1855, dentist Robert Arthur was the first to use gold to fill cavities.
The smallest bone in the body is the stirrup.
The average mattress contains 2 million house dust mites.
No other animal gives us more by-products than the pig.
Mexican jumping beans jump because of a moth larva inside the bean.
An electric eel produces an average of 400 volts.
A myrmecologist studies ants.
To crack a whip, the tip must be traveling faster than the speed of sound.
Sugar was first added to chewing gum in 1869 by a dentist named William Semple.
According to a major hotel chain, approximately the same numbers of men and women are locked out of their rooms — 32 percent are less than fully dressed.
The mother of all mothers? The largest number of children born to one woman is recorded at 69. From 1725-1765 a Russian peasant woman gave birth to 16 sets of twins, 7 sets of triplets and 4 sets of quadruplets.
Hoover Dam’s structural volume surpasses the largest pyramid in Egypt, which took 20 years and 100,000 men to complete. It took 4 years and 5,000 workers to complete the Hoover Dam.
A pig’s snout is called a gruntle.
The chemical pectin, found in ripe fruit, causes jam to set when cooling.
Just a quick reminder: don’t forget to enter to win one of several free Amazon gift cards I am hosting on my Free Kindle Books and Tips blog – if you can spare 7 seconds you should enter, also! Just click here or type in http://smarturl.it/62015 into your web browser to go to the signup page.
At the nearest point, Russia and America are less than 4 km apart.
The Channel between England and France grows about 300 millimeters each year.
Mars has a volcano, Olympus Mons, which is 310-370 miles in diameter and 16 miles high.
The statue “The Thinker” by Rodin is actually a portrait of the Italian poet Dante.
X-ray technology has shown that there are 3 different versions of the “Mona Lisa” under the visible one.
Some Statistics about us Americans. Did you know that…
- Only 30% of us can flare our nostrils.
- 21% of us don’t make our bed daily. 5% of us never do.
- Men do 29% of laundry each week. Only 7% of women trust their husbands to do it correctly.
- 40% of women have hurled footwear at a man.
- 85% of men don’t use the slit in their underwear.
- 5% of men wear tightie whities (briefs).
- The average bra size today is 36C whereas 10 years ago it was a 34B.
- 85% of women wear the wrong bra size.
- 3 out of 4 of us store our dollar bills in rigid order with singles leading up to higher denominations.
- 13% of us admit to occasionally doing our offspring’s homework.
- 91% of us lie regularly.
- 27% admit to cheating on a test or quiz.
- 29% admit they’ve intentionally stolen something from a store.
- 50% admit they regularly sneak food into movie theaters to avoid the high prices of snack foods.
- 90% believe in divine retribution.
- 10% believe in the 10 Commandments.
- 82% believe in an afterlife.
- 45% believe in ghosts.
- 13% (mostly men) have spent a night in jail.
- 29% of us are virgins when we marry.
- 4% have called into work sick when we weren’t.
- 10% of us switch tags in the store to pay less for an item.
- Over 50% believe in spanking – but only a child over 2 years old.
- 35% give to charity at least once a month.
- How far would you go for $10 million? 25% would abandon their friends, family, and religion. 7% would murder.
- 69% eat the cake before the frosting.
- When nobody else is around, 47% drink straight from the carton.
- 85% of us will eat Spam this year.
- 70% of us drink orange juice daily.
- Snickers is the most popular candy.
- 22% of us skip lunch daily.
- 9% of us skip breakfast daily.
- 66% of us eat cereal regularly.
- 22% of all restaurant meals include French fries.
- 14% of us eat the watermelon seeds.
- Only 13% brush our teeth from side to side.
- 45% use mouthwash every day.
- 22% leave the glob of toothpaste in the sink.
- The typical shower is 101 degrees F.
- Nearly 1/3 of US women color their hair.
- 9% of women and 8% of men have had cosmetic surgery.
- 53% of women will not leave the house without makeup on.
- 58% of women paint their nails regularly.
- 62% of us pop our zits.
- 33% of women lie about their weight. (Only 33%?)
- 10% of us claim to have seen a ghost.
- 57% have had deja vu.
- 49% believe in ESP.
- 4 out of 5 of us have suffered from hemorrhoids.
- The average girl starts her period at age 12.
- 44% have broken a bone.
- Only 30% of us know our cholesterol level.
- 14% have attended a self-help meeting.
- 15% regularly go to a shrink.
- 78% would rather die quickly than live in a retirement home.
- 5% of men say they ALWAYS put the seat down after they’ve used the toilet, yet women claim to AWAYS find it up.
- 30% of us refuse to sit on a public toilet seat.
- 2% of us always wash our hands after using the toilet.
- 5% admit they don’t always flush.
- 2% pee in the shower.
- 9% pee in the ocean.
- 1% pee in the pool.
- 2% will let someone else come in the bathroom while they’re using the toilet.
- 39% of us peek in our host’s bathroom cabinet.
- 17% have been caught by the host.
- 3% would tell an acquaintance to zip his pants.
- 29% of us ignore RSVP.
- 6% of us eavesdrop.
- 22% are functionally illiterate.
- Less than 10% are trilingual.
- 56% of women do the bills in a marriage.
- 2 out of 3 of us wouldn’t give up our spouse even for a night for a million bucks.
- 20% of us have played in a band at one time in our life.
- 40% of us have had music lessons.
- 44% reuse aluminum foil.
- 57% save pretty gift paper to reuse.
- 66% of women and 59% of men have used a mix to cook and taken credit for doing it from scratch.
- 53% read their horoscopes regularly.
- 16% of us have forgotten our own wedding anniversary (mostly men).
- 59% of us say we’re average-looking.
- Blacks are more than twice as likely to call themselves beautiful.
- 90% of us depend on alarm clocks to wake us.
- 28% of us have skinny-dipped. 14% with the opposite sex.
- 51% of adults dress up for a Halloween festivity.
- On average, we send 38 Christmas cards every year.
- 20% of women consider their parents to be their best friends.
- 2 out of 5 have married their first love.
- The biggest cause of matrimonial fighting is money.
- Only 4% asked the parents’ approval for their bride’s hand.
- 1 in 5 men proposed on his knees.
- 6% propose over the phone.
- 71% can drive a stick-shift car.
- 45% of us consistently follow the speed limit.
- 2/3 of us speed up at a yellow light.
- 1/3 of us don’t wear seat belts.
- 12% of men never use their car blinkers.
- 44% of men tailgate to speed up the person in front of them.
- 25% of us drive after we’ve been drinking.
- 4 out of 5 sing in the car.